Saturday, October 13, 2012

Relax....It's All Good

Basically I'm sitting on my patootie right now.  I've been in this position for well over an hour.  I'm strongly considering taking a nap.

I also just finished eating a chocolate chip cookie.  Okay....let's be honest, I ate two.  And milk.  And they were delicious.    I baked them, so I should be able to eat one or two right?  The bananas and apples were right there....but I was feeling the urge to be bad.  Being bad is fun.

To most of you, this may not sound very earth shattering.   However, it feels like decadence to me.  I don't eat cookies on a regular basis.  I typically eat a clean diet (a.k.a. boring as hell).  I like to keep busy, and I usually fill my day with plenty of activities.   A body in motion.....yada, yada, yada.   I don't take a nap unless I have the flu.  So what's going on?  What caused me to throw caution to the wind and make such crazy, out-of-the-norm decisions to do things like sit on my tush and eat cookies?    I could take  my usual approach, which would be to over-analyze my actions (or lack thereof).  Or, I could just call it what it is:  I feel like chillin' out and being a little bad!   Simple.  I'm finding that simplicity is so much better than making things complicated, as I've done in the past.   It's just so much easier.  Maybe the over-thinking should be next on my streamlining list.

The day has been hectic.  My alarm went off at 6:30 and I did some laundry then went on a group bike ride.  It is a Saturday staple for me.   My bike (a.k.a. Lover) is my happy place (when I'm not crashing it) and almost always gives me a little serenity.   It wasn't the most serene of rides today, as it was extremely windy and a lot of work.  It took us about two and a half hours to go 40 miles.   I had a blast.  Great company with strong cyclists.  We took turns drafting (sucking the wheel of the rider in front of you)  and leading the pace line.   We rode past the scene of my accident, and our group leader (who had been present when I crashed) showed us the exact spot  and also pointed out the bloodstain that still remains on the pavement.  Three weeks and it's still there.  Sobering to see.  And yet, it was a good reminder.   I'm not taking things for granted these days, and I'm going to add cycling to that list.  The accident could have been so much worse than it was.  Seeing that visible bloodstain was a reminder that the sport I love is very dangerous.   Even so, I love the element of speed, adrenaline and danger!  It gives me a rush beyond compare.  I have learned from the crash (and the aftermath of the concussion I am slowly recovering from) to always be aware of my surroundings.   No more brain-blogging or losing myself in my thoughts (a habit of mine) as I've written about in the past.  That is a luxury I can't afford.    Defensive Cycling 101.

After the ride I attended my son's football game, which of course his team dominated.  It was a fun time with friends and family.  More adrenaline.

With the excitement of the day, I was tired and a little worn out when I got home.  So I sat down to chill before getting in the shower.   Two hours later and here I still sit!  And I couldn't be happier.  I'm sure you are thinking that I am probably pretty ripe and should get in the shower.  Well you would be correct in that assumption.



I am going to a party tonight, so a shower would probably be wise.  After that I will go shopping in my closet to put together a fabulous ensemble.  Maybe I'll put on some heels with my jeans, and put on lipstick.  So I will say ta-ta for now and head out for the evening.  But first,  I think I might have another chocolate chip cookie.

See you soon!

One final thought:  Life is too short for simply existing and being so disciplined all of the time.  I am learning (finally) what is truly valuable.  Life should be enjoyed and every day should be filled with laughter.  Life should be lived to the fullest.   Every day that passes should be a day to be proud of.

Just existing.....where is the life in that?


No comments:

Post a Comment