Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Upon Reflection



So.....it's the first day of 2013.   I love the feeling of a blank page.   A chance to feel like I am starting over with freshly charged batteries.  I don't necessarily have resolutions in mind, but rather hopes, dreams and goals.  Back to the basics.

The year of 2012 was filled with ups and downs.   The ups were wonderful, and the downs were...well not so wonderful.  For now I am going to keep this post happy and hopeful.   That is not to say I won't write about the blues of 2012....just in due time.  My thoughts on the downs will simmer on a back burner for now.

There were so many fantastic things that happened in 2012!  It is easy for me to be positive about the things I have accomplished this past year.

One of the biggest happy points of 2012 was my completion of two half distance Ironman triathlons.  The endurance bug definitely bit me last year!  I love the feel of losing myself in a long swim, bike or run.  The training involved in preparation for the longer distance races is challenging yet therapeutic to me.  Especially the bike.   I learned a lot about myself during the training and in racing in 2012.  I learned that I don't back down from a challenge today as I have in the past.  I've gotten stronger.  I learn from my mistakes.  I will get even mentally and physically stronger this year.  It will probably mean more mistakes to come, but I'm not afraid of that.  I embrace it.

Life goals:  train hard, work hard, love hard, write more, read more, learn, grow, expand my horizons and use my abilities and talents to further myself.  I suppose I have a lot of work to do, eh?  Well, bring it on.  I'm ready!



Race goals:  Ironman 70.3 Kansas (June 9), Ironman 70.3 Steelhead (August 4), Nations Triathlon in DC (Sept 8), and the Monumental Marathon, full 26.2 in Indianapolis (Nov 13).  Those are my big race plans, for now.  (I reserve the right to add more.)   I also plan to do the 150 mile Bourbon Cycling Tour (April 20-22) and the Ride Across Indiana (RAIN) on July 13th, which is a 160 mile road bike trek across Indiana.   I also plan to volunteer at Ironman events my friends and my coach are participating in.  Give back to the sport I love.  And finally, this year I am going to be part of a triathlon team that will raise money for cancer research.  Racing with a purpose.  I am excited to get started!

As I said, training is therapeutic for me.  I find peace and serenity when I'm immersed in it.  So it's fair to say that as such, it is a large part of my life.    It makes me happy and it keeps me sane.  Unless you think that riding a bike for 160 miles isn't sane?!

So in a nutshell, that is what I'm hoping for in 2013.   I'm looking forward to sharing this years ups and downs with you.  Hopefully more ups than downs.  However, as you know we learn a great deal from the downs.  There is no avoiding them.  Life wouldn't be interesting without them.

Walk this year with me and see how I do, won't you?

Stay tuned, it's going to get real in here.  Cheers to an eventful 2013!

Peace,
Michelle xoxo




2 comments:

  1. I WISH I could do endurance stuff. I have a weird form of asthma that kicks in when I push myself past a certain line. The line being anything beyond a brisk walk. If I jog for a full minute, I find myself in a struggle for air. Which sucks, because I can walk for miles(last year I completely my very first 5k walk in under an hour). Would kill to be able to do a triathlon....

    My main goal this year is to keep walking, try to keep a physical workout going, and keep writing as much as I can. Besides the whole get married in February and live happily that is, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow and flaming heck comes to mind. I admire your stamina in all of this. Yes, I will stayed tuned to see how you do and wish you every success and first place in every race. I think I'm gonna lose a stone in weight just reading what you do this year ( at least you'll be doing the hard work though)..... Good for you, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete