Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Bring it in Baby

When I walked through the doors of The Cycle Studio this morning,  my heart lifted.  I had been feeling a little blue recently due to some life events, and the cold weather settling in.   I had finally resigned myself to the fact that there would be no more regular outdoor cycling, unless there is a break in the cold (as this past Saturday).    I'm stubborn (in case you haven't noticed) and extended it for as long as I could.  Today, when I walked into the studio I was reminded how much fun, and how powerful indoor training could be.

So I'm bringing it in, baby.  The tri bike is on the trainer.  (I will say that my road bike is tuned up and ready for the occasional break in the weather, and for my winter vacation to the sunny south!)    There is healing power in a positive attitude.

I have to say, there is nothing better than being in a group of dedicated athletes, sweating and working hard, with a common goal:  go faster and get stronger.  This can't help but lift my spirits.

The Cycle Studio brings these individuals together, and I have to give a shout out to my friend Shea, who runs the place.  She is an amazing athlete who is an inspiration to all of us.   In walking through the doors, I was filled with gratitude.  Nothing better than a beat down to chase away the blues!







It's BYOB (bring your own bike), and the training is done on a computrainer system.  In a sense, you are competing with the seven other triathletes in the room.  Everyone's stats are viewed on a big screen directly over the cycling area.  It's very cool.   One day I might ride Ironman Switzerland and the next day Ironman World Championships in Kona, HI.  And it's all set to kick ass music!  You just can't get that when you're riding outside freezing your ass off.  Another plus.




Today also marked the start of a winter training group that Shea asked me to be a part of.   Eight women, all triathletes, with Shea as our instructor.   Today was the orientation, and I have to say, it's going to be fantastic!  We all know each other, and we are all cut from the same (dare I say crazy?) cloth.   We talked about goals, and upcoming races, as well as the details of our specific group training.  Then we worked out!  (My favorite pastime).    We ended with a 3 minute plank position hold (timed) as a group.  Just to show what we're made of!  Bunch of tough ladies.

Did I mention that we weigh in every week?!  Yippee!

I will just have to remind myself, common goal:  lighter, faster, stronger.

I left feeling recharged and ready for the winter training season.  It might be frigid outside, but it's going to be HOT in the studio!!

Off to the pool, then for a run in the rain.  See you soon!

Peace,
Michelle


2 comments:

  1. There certainly is healing power in a positive attitude, I agree. I really admire the way you are so dedicated to your training. It’s great to be recharged, and I think you’ll have an excellent winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madilyn! I hope you are correct! Hope you are well!

      Delete