Sunday, March 17, 2013

Oh What a Night

Today is my birthday. A day when it's all about me!  Of course I share this day with the masses celebrating St. Patrick's Day. The more the merrier!  Fun all around.  I spent the day immersed in the simple joys of life.

As I look back on the year, I am very grateful. It has been a wonderful time with many blessings. I have worked on myself, expanded my horizons and I have discovered that I genuinely like who I am today. There were some incredible highs and some exceptional lows, but with each experience came growth.  I am strong and happy today.

 Birthday Cake Courtesy of Kendall and Nick

One of the best things about this year was that I started this blog. Writing is part of my soul. Twenty years ago I put my writing on hold when I moved from Maryland to Indiana and got married. Next came children, and before I knew it I found myself a stay-at-home mom. I put my career and my dreams on a back burner to be Mommy. The more time that passed, the more complacent I became. I have no regret, don't get me wrong.  I am proud of my two teenaged children and my time spent raising them to young adulthood has been priceless.

I made the decision this year that I was no longer content with status quo. It was time to take back my own identity. The last five years of my life have been akin to starting over. I was given a second chance at life. I have gradually made life changes. And today I find myself wanting more. Needing more. Determined to do more.

Change came slowly, and as I've told you I'm not the most patient of girls. But I am learning. Gradual change has proven to be the most valuable. Good things come to those who wait, after all.

Expressing myself in the written word has given new depth to my life. Through this I've learned that it's never too late. I don't have to settle with what I've always done, I can start something new.  By letting go and taking risks I have gained insight through new adventures. I am being honest and I'm putting myself out there. I'm learning to step outside of my comfort zone. By having the courage to do so, I am freeing myself from the shackles in which fear has kept me bound. And it feels pretty damn great.






Today was a very special day. I was overwhelmed by the many well-wishes bestowed upon me. It's the love of friends and family that mean the most to me.  My kids made me cards and a birthday cake complete with SweetTarts Jellybeans.  I let myself indulge a little bit.  My day started with morning meditation and a kick-ass workout at The Cycle Studio surrounded by friends, then brunch with my family and an afternoon shopping with my daughter. And now I'm writing. Heaven.

So cheers to a new year. Bring it on. I am so glad you will be sharing it with me.

8 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Michelle, what a wonderful day to celebrate your birthday, hope it's one of the best days in your life to date. Loved your post and you made wish for myself as life like yours someday, with two ore more successfully grown children, a home and a passion for writing. I love writing but still I think I can love it more and with every visit of yours I'm getting there. Therefore I'm wishing you to meet more people who'll share what they have with you, and you'll share your life lessons, among other things, with them. Happy birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gabriel! What you have said has meant a lot to me, and made my day! :) Your dreams can come true...just keep moving forward :) You're getting a much earlier start than I did!

      Delete
  2. Glad you retrieved yourself. Many, many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Michelle! You and I relate on SO many levels. Letting go of fear and the desire to be in control has made such a difference in my life as well. Love the balloon-festooned cycle! That cake looks YUMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we do!!! We will have to talk one of these days :)

      Delete
  4. Well done Michelle!
    A nice birthday post.
    & yes gradual change is definitely the best, if we get a say in it.
    Cheers, ic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated Happy Birthday Nimsy. I wish great uck for your writing and race. I know you are a great mom took, and will always be. So, keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete